- Public Works / Engineering
- Sanitary Sewer
- Sewer Cleaning/Televising. The Department of Public Works cleans village sewer lines on a regular basis. In conjunction with the cleaning operations, Village sewer mains are regularly inspected using a remote controlled closed circuit television camera specially designed to move through sewers. This device is used to check for blockage and damage in the sewer system. By spotting small problems early, they can be remedied before they turn into real trouble.
Sewer treatment is provided through the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District (MMSD).
Reporting a Sewer Backup
We hope you do not experience a backup. However, if one does occur in your home cease to run water and report it immediately by calling Village Hall at 414-962-6690. Village personnel will determine if a blockage has occurred in the sanitary main. If the sanitary main is running clear, your sanitary lateral is plugged and you will need to contact a plumber to clear the blockage.
Tips to Avoid Sewer Backups Here are some tips to avoid sewer backups:
- Never flush diapers, feminine hygiene products, or other paper (except toilet paper) down toilets. Paper materials swell up and lodge in sewer lines, causing backups.
- During heavy rainfalls do not run dishwashers, laundry, and avoid showering
- Next, if you have trees in your front lawn, there is always a possibility of root intrusions into your sewer line. If you suspect roots growing into your sewer line, have your line cleaned out annually. Symptoms of clogged lines include slow drainage and frequent backups.
Who Is Responsible for the Lateral
As a home owner, you are responsible for the maintenance and care of the sanitary lateral from your house to the sanitary main. The Village is responsible for the maintenance and cleaning of the sanitary mains. If you experience sewage backup in your basement floor drains or sinks, cease to run water and contact the Village Hall 414-962-6690 immediately.